Wednesday, March 2, 2022

In Memoriam: Lacy Strohschein Doss, February 24, 1930, to February 26, 2022


Here is a picture of the first kindergarten class at First Baptist Church, Zachary, Louisiana.  I'm on the front row, the only girl surrounded by boys.  Susie Strohschein is on the second row with her head turned to look at Billy Kirkwood, or maybe her mother, who is in the back right-hand corner, wearing a plaid dress.  That's Mrs. Strohschein, my kindergarten teacher, second mother, and lifelong supporter and friend.

She was instrumental to starting the kindergarten program, along with Mrs. Creel, in the left-hand corner.  Mrs. Creel yodeled, and was also a great favorite.  But she moved when I was a kid, and Mrs. Strohschein stayed.  And stayed.  I have a hard time believing she is gone physically, and I know she will always be in my heart.  She helped form it!

She was a rock, a constant and secure presence in my life, from the moment my family and I landed on the shores of Zachary, Louisiana, when I was 3 years old.  For one thing, she was the church secretary when my dad arrived as a very young minister, and she helped him succeed and our whole family settle in and become part of the community.  She was devoted, loving, and loyal to my family, her family, the church, and always present.  

To me, she was Zachary, and she was the church.

As a young girl, what most stood out to me was her kindness and attentiveness and strength.  She was present with me in ways that many adults were not.  She paid attention, and she affirmed my interests. 

For example, pansies.

She had a beautiful patch of pansies in her front yard by the driveway.  One day when I was feeling particularly sad from childhood pressures, I stood gazing at the pansies, dreaming and self-soothing.  She came over and joined me and chatted with me about the wonders of pansies, how they looked like children's faces and came in such beautiful colors and how I could grow some myself if I wanted.  The moment became a touchstone of kindness for me that has guided me through the years.  I hope that I have carried the lesson forward and helped others like she helped me.

She also had a great swing set in her back yard, and a bench on her carport, where I spent many happy moments, chatting gaily with whoever was around.  I learned in these moments how to relax and enjoy one another's company, with no particular object in mind.  It was like the coffee breaks I remember watching her and other church secretaries and assistants take when I was a child, a way to just be.

She also had a strong, sharp presence and wit.  She didn't suffer fools, as they say, although she definitely nurtured children.  She was a beautiful, hard-headed woman, in the best way.

When I was going through my troubled twenties and moving away from Zachary, I always went to see Mrs. Strohschein.  Being in her presence grounded me.  Plus, she also fed me.

I see her in every one of her children, all of whom are beautiful and unique, strong people.  I see her in my family who she helped through challenging times.  And I will always see her teaching me to tie my shoes and build structures with blocks and write my numbers and the alphabet and calm myself and take naps and eat cookies in moderation and take a load off and sit and relax for awhile and kick off my shoes and enjoy life wherever I am.

Thank you, Mrs. Strohschein.  May your light shine always.

Obituary for Lacy Strohschein Doss

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eberly,

    I'm Paul Seif, a 22 year friend of Debra Miller.

    She sent me the link to your blog and I got to read your beautiful remembrance and tribute to Lacy Strohschein.

    Deb and I were a couple from 2000 to 2007 and I got to travel to Zachary with her many times. I have met Susie often.

    You put yourself back in your childhood shoes and your memory of Lacy's kindness, guidance and influence is palpable and powerful.
    I was so touched to read your telling of her imprint on your heart, your life. I'll ask Deb for memories of her as well.

    My mom passed away this past November 8, 2021.
    I've been doing some writing to chronicle her last year of life.
    It is a great release and stimulation of memory - even if a bit disjointed for now as I write it. I love to write when I get down to it.

    I read your post about Sunday morning on the coast. Wonderful. Your writing is beautiful. I look forward to reading more. Word paintings. I'm inspired to do same.

    Thanks for your lovely painting of Lacy. Her goodness carries forth in me and millions.
    In that, she lives on.

    ReplyDelete